Tuesday, March 9, 2010

1 month old

I'm typing this post in a race against the clock b/c Cooper will probably wake up any minute and want to eat NOW!  3 weeks ago I had to wake him up to eat but the times have changed.  Another change is that our content, peaceful little baby has turned quite fussy.  We're headed to the doctor tomorrow to discuss his gas/reflux issues in more detail.  The good and bad news is that every day is different, so our roughest days/nights are usually followed by a few better days.  Our basic routine is eat, fuss, soothe, sleep, repeat. We have learned to minimize the fussing by holding, bathing, or distracting him.  At least we know this is a phase and it will get better!  And I know that there are parents out there who have it much harder.

Cooper seems to be having a growth spurt because he has mostly outgrown his newborn clothes and is now wearing mostly 0-3 months size.  He wanted to eat every 2 hours yesterday.  No wonder those cheeks are getting chubby!

I can't say enough good things about Johnston-Willis Hospital.  Not only was my labor/delivery such a good experience, they have excellent postpartum resources and they're free.  Cooper and I have benefitted so much from the breastfeeding support group and their lactation consultants.  And yesterday, we started an infant massage class.  Both are great ways to get some help, bond with the baby, and meet other moms.

Looking forward to what surprises the next week will bring!

2 comments:

gisou said...

My goodness, he HAS gotten bigger, I can tell in these photos! You're such great parents, I hope you get some easy days here soon.

Beth said...

I'm glad you've had so much support from your hospital! Our breastfeeding support group helped me SO much in those first few months.

I'm glad to see such sweet pictures of your growing boy! I know it can be really frustrating when you don't know what's wrong, but hang in there. By the way, I read that babies reach a "fussiness peak" at about 6 weeks, and that really seemed to be true with Eleanor. It gets better, I promise!